Monday, June 4, 2012

Everneath Review


After completely reworking my pitch I just submitted it last night. Nothing is likely to come of it, but it was a good exercise, and I think it made my query letter stronger. Now I just need to finish my new round of revisions, and then I'll send it off again. I'm still working on finishing Bitterblue, the sequel to Graceling which I reviewed a few days ago, so hopefully that will be up soon. In the meantime, I recently finished reading Everneath by Brodi Ashton. Overall, I would say it was pretty good, but nothing to swoon over. It left on a cliff hanger, so I'm assuming there will probably be a sequel, but I'm still not sure if I'll read it or not.

Everneath Summary:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.


Evernath Review:
The premise of this story was only somewhat unique, but the plot was pretty good. It held my interest until the end, even though the main character was far from loveable. Her whole reason for going to the Everneath in the beginning was because her mom recently died, and she began to doubt that her boyfriend, Jack, was being faithful to her. Overall those didn't seem like very logical reasons for her to make such a drastic choice and give up her life--especially since her boyfriend didn't actually cheat on her.

The first few chapters were confusing, but in a good way. They kept me wondering what exactly was going on in Nikki's world. After that though the plot started to slow down. She had six months to say goodbye, and she spent the first four months doing a whole lot of nothing...just going to school and not making any attempt to make headway on her relationships with her dad, brother, best friend, and ex-boyfriend Jack. There's nothing like a whole lot of wasted time in a book.

The rest of the characters though were pretty good, and had a lot of depth. Nikki just didn't seem to have much to her. If you're an avid YA reader, I might recommend this book, especially if you like stories of the Underworld, but if not, I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Happy Monday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I REALLY LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND YOUR WISH TO WRITE GOOD STORIES FOR KIDS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

    KEN

    ReplyDelete