Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Corner of White Review

As a librarian, I read SLJ reviews every month, and based on the reviews I decide which books to purchase for the library. Then I usually decide which books to read next based on books that are in the library collection. But when I read the review for A Corner of White, I was dying to read it. The summary I'm including below isn't the one I read in SLJ, but it definitely does it justice.

A Corner of White Summary:
She knew this. That philematology is the science of kissing. That Samuel Langhorne Clemens is better known as Mark Twain. That, originally, gold comes from the stars.
A Corner of White
Madeleine Tully lives in Cambridge, England, the World – a city of spires, Isaac Newton and Auntie's Tea Shop. Elliot Baranski lives in Bonfire, the Farms, the Kingdom of Cello – where seasons roam, the Butterfly Child sleeps in a glass jar, and bells warn of attacks from dangerous Colours.

They are worlds apart – until a crack opens up between them; a corner of white – the slim seam of a letter. Elliot begins to write to Madeleine, the Girl-in-the-World – a most dangerous thing to do for suspected cracks must be reported and closed. But Elliot's father has disappeared and Madeleine's mother is sick. Can a stranger from another world help to unravel the mysteries in your own? Can Madeleine and Elliot find the missing pieces of themselves before it is too late?

A mesmerizing story of two worlds; the cracks between them, the science that binds them and the colours that infuse them.

A Corner of White Review:
First of all, right off the bat, I loved the cover. It's full of so many bright colors, which I'm instantly drawn to. And it touches on some of the major themes of the book. Colors are a critical part in both of the main characters' lives. For Madeline, who lives in the real world, she loves dressing in lots of bright colors, and living a bright and vibrant life. For Elliot, his mythical kingdom is plagued by Colour attacks, which I thought was a really unique and intriguing concept.

One of the main reasons why I love this book is that it has so much depth to it. Both of the characters are very unique, and are exceptionally well developed. And I really liked that one of the characters were based in reality, while the other lives in a mythical land with fantastical elements. The story was a little slow in the middle, but overall was really beautifully written. And the last fifty pages were exceptionally done. There was a major plot twist that I definitely did not see coming. And I'm eager to see where the series goes.

If you're looking for an original storyline with excellent imagery and character development, give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment