Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Selection & Other News



Before we get to the review, I have some good news. Caragh O'Brien, author of YA books Birthmarked and Prized has agreed to do an interview for us! Both of her books have made it onto YALSA's Top Young Adult Fiction lists, so make sure you don't miss it. In other news, Insurgent, the long-anticipated sequel to Divergent had its release date bumped up to next Tuesday. For those who have never heard of it, the series is great for fans of The Hunger Games. I'll try to have a review up for Insurgent by early next week. As far as Desiderium, I was planning on sending out query letters this week, but I need to make a few more revisions.

Onto the review. I just finished reading The Selection by Kiera Cass. I was up until 3:33 a.m. last night reading it. That's partially because of the book itself, and partly due to my motivation to read another title it was a miracle for me to get ahold of. (Okay, not really a miracle, but I'm guessing you already assumed as much.) The verdict: this book is certified awesome, but only for certain crowds. The book was pitched as being The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor, which I have to admit had me a little bit intrigued. For those who hate the Bachelor, fear not. In my opinion the author did a pretty good job of subtly poking fun at the reality TV show, but I have to say that there was really no Hunger Games aspect to it at all.

What Goodreads has to say about it:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

What I have to say about it:
All in all, I would say that this book is enjoyable. The writing was excellent and the story was really well-paced. The plot was noteworthy and piqued my interesting throughout the enterity of the book, but I would only recommend it to people who enjoy romance novels. Although I do have to say that as far as love triangles go, Cass does an excellent job. Most YA books feature love triangles in which the audience will clearly favor one character over the other, but I found myself torn between the two options.

Also of note, the characters in the book were never actually dressed like they are in the cover, but that aside, the author does a great job of addressing class issues within our society, even if it is under the disguise of a caste system. Even though the book is technically taking place in the future, I would recommend it to people who enjoy historical fiction. For some reason the book just gave off that kind of vibe.

Thanks for reading and make sure to tune in next time!

1 comment:

  1. OK. I'm catching up now. Guess I didn't "get it" on how blogs work. Sorry kid. Just a few more to read and then I will be current.

    aunti e

    ReplyDelete