Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Fire by Kristin Cashore


Fire is the second book Kristin Cashore wrote. It's a companion book to Graceling. I recently read both Graceling and Bitterblue, and loved the former so I decided to come back to this book. Once again, Cashore does a great job of painting a wonderful world to get lost in for a few hours.

Fire Summary:
It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. The young King Nash clings to his throne while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves and lawless men.

This is where Fire lives. With a wild, irresistible appearance and hair the color of flame, Fire is the last remaining human monster. Equally hated and adored, she had the unique ability to control minds, but she guards her power, unwilling to steal the secrets of innocent people. Especially when she has so many of her own.

Then Prince Brigan comes to bring her to King City, The royal family needs her help to uncover the plot against the king. Far away from home, Fire begins to realize there's more to her power than she ever dreamed. Her power could save the kingdom.

If only she weren't afraid of becoming the monster her father was.


Fire Review:
Overall I would say that this book was pretty great. It was roughly 460 pages, which was about 100 pages less than Bitterblue. It didn't feel nearly so long though. At the same time though it wasn't nearly as quick of a read as Graceling, and I would probably rank it as my second favorite of her three novels so far. I thought that Fire's character was very likeable and interesting, and each of the characters were unique in their own ways.

I really liked Prince Brigan, the romantic interest, but the two of them finally getting together was very anti-climatic. Cashore didn't even mention their first kiss. Usually authors will describe it and it's considered to be one of the more significant points in the book, but she glossed over it. Nevertheless I was rooting from them. The one thing I didn't like about the book was that at some points Fire was really strong (although nothing compared to Katsa from Graceling), and at other times she was completely helpless. I guess we all have our strong and weak moments, but this seemed to be taken to an extreme. Regardless, don't let that deter you from reading this book.

As far as Desiderium goes, I've been taking a little bit of a break from it. There are some revisions that have to be made to it, but as of yet I haven't figured out exactly how to address them. I'm still mulling them over, but I'm hoping I'll work up the gumption to take a stab at it this weekend. I don't think most people understand the amount of revision that goes into writing a book. You don't just write it and then poof it gets published. I finished my first draft almost a year ago and spent 8 months revising it on my own. Now I'm revising it with the help of some online writing groups. I guess the good news is it's always getting better. Although to be honest, I'm beginning to hate the word better. I can't wait for the day when my book is good and not just better. Cross your fingers for me.

1 comment:

  1. I am more than sure that is it already "good"!!!

    ReplyDelete