Friday, July 13, 2012

Review: There is No Dog by Meg Rosoff


This blog will be short. I'm 60 pages away from being done with my current revision, so I haven't had a lot of time to read. I did, however, make the mistake of picking up the book There is No Dog by Meg Rosoff. I absolutely hated it. All too often I pick up books and stop reading them partway through because I don't care for them, so I resolved to not do that very much anymore. Needless to say I picked a bad time to start.

There is No Dog Summary:
Meet your unforgettable protagonist: God, who, as it turns out, is a 19-year-old boy living in the present-day and sharing an apartment with his long-suffering fifty-something personal assistant. Unfortunately for the planet, God is lazy and, frankly, hopeless. He created all of the world's species in six days because he couldn't summon the energy to work for longer. He gets Africa and America mixed up. And his beleagured assistant has his work cut out for him when God creates a near-apolcalyptic flood, having fallen asleep without turning the bath off. There is No Dog is a darkly funny novel from one of our most delightfully unpredictable writers.

There is No Dog Review:
I absolutely did not like one thing about this book. The main character is 19-years old, and since he's God, he's supposedly been around for millions of years, and yet he's completely selfish, self-absorbed, and lacks any sort of maturity what-so-ever. Completely unbelievable. After millions of years, wouldn't you tend to mature at least a little? Needless to say every single one of the characters was unlikeable, the writing was vulgar and just plain terrible. And the boy spends the entire book trying to woo this attractive girl he saw, and once he does he doesn't even recognize her when he sees her. Then he makes fish fly and he leaves Earth, leaving his 50-year-old immortal assistant in charge of Earth. This book has no redeeming qualities, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment