Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Distance Between Us Review

After loads of work, I've finally made it two-thirds of the way through my current round of editing. I'm actually at the point where I feel fairly confident in my current draft (or at least I will be after I finish this round of revisions). That being said, I've decided to go through one more time for spelling/grammar checks, and then I will be trying my hand at submitting to agents. I know I've said this before and never actually worked up the courage, but I think it will finally be ready. Hopefully.

And to further catch you up on my published book reviews, this review was published back in August about a YA romance novel. If you decide to pick it up, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The Distance Between Us
by Kasie West

Gr 8 Up--Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers works in her mother's shop selling porcelain dolls to wealthy patrons. Even though she and her mom know that the rich can't be trusted, they rely on them to keep the store afloat. Then charismatic Xander walks into the store and seems to understand cynical and sarcastic Caymen better than anyone else, and she begins to wonder if maybe she and her mother were wrong. That is, until she's mistreated by Xander's friends and, after reading a tabloid, discovers that he may already have a girlfriend. Ultimately, however, Caymen realizes that she has a love worth fighting for, and the star-crossed lovers end up together. Despite the predictable ending, the charming story is beautifully written, and the characters are well developed. Similar in feel to books by Susane Colasanti, West's novel is sweet and captivating.--"Candyce Pruitt-Goddard, Hartford Public Library, CT" Copyright 2013 School Library Journal, LLC Used with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment